I prepared these stuffed peppers for our guests we invited to our house and they had a great success. They were so delicious and we all enjoyed them a lot. They are also perfect to pack them for lunch or picnic. Also ingredients are very simple, that you find at home or you can add inside anything else, based on your taste and creativity. I filled them with quinoa, chickpeas, zucchini and feta cheese and served them with fresh baby spinach and tomatoes.
At the beginning, its important to calculate how many peppers you need. As I cooked for 6 people, I calculated roughly 2 or 3 halves of peppers per 1 person (they were actually very big).
First, wash them, cut them in half, keep the green top (don’t cut it out).
Before preparing your filling, turn on oven for 180 degrees. For the filling: in a cooking pan, add oil, I used extra virgin olive oil, add chopped onion and roast it until the onion gets golden color. Add chickpeas and zucchini, that you cut in cubes before. Mix it until zucchini get soft. Add salt, black pepper (very little) and dry basil (you can use also fresh one). Switch it off and add feta cheese cut in small pieces. Mix it well together. Before filling the peppers, I like to put a pinch of salt inside of the pepper, not a lot, just a little bit. Then fill in the peppers with the filling.
Place the peppers in oven for about 20-30 minutes until the peppers get soft. You can serve it with salad or any other kind of vegetable.
These Filled Peppers are
- 7 big peppers (14 halves)
- 500 g of quinoa
- 600 g of zucchini
- 2 feta cheese
- 2 tsps of salt, pinch of black pepper, 3-4 tsps of basil
- 300 g chickpeas (cooked before)
- extra virgin olive oil,
- 1 big onion
- Clean the peppers and cut them in half
- heat the oil on a cooking pan and add the chopped onion. Roast it until the onion gets a golden color
- Cut zucchini into cubes and add them to the cooking pan. Add also the chickpeas and mix it until zucchini are soft. Add salt, black pepper
- Switch off the fire
- Cut feta cheese into small cubes and mix in into the filling
- Add basil, you can add more, depends on your taste.
- Taste the filling and if you need, add more salt of basil.
- Fill in the peppers and place them in oven for about 20-30 minutes. Depends also on how soft you prefer the peppers to be.
If you wish to do this recipe, remember to let me know how you like it! 🙂