This dish is becoming one of our favourite. It is very simple to make, has less then 10 ingredients, that you easily find in stores. Plus its VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE AND LACTOSE-FREE. If you are looking for another way how to cook beans, this is a must to try. I cook this dish very often, it requires minimum attention so you can do your housework, or anything else and still being sure your dinner will work out well.
I also love using black beans in the kitchen, they keep their form also during long cooking and do not overcook so easily. They have also kind of sweet taste, which matches perfectly with this dish. You feel the sweetness of beans and tomatoes with spicy chilly and peppers. Really delicious, if you are fan of such combination. You can also moderate how much spice you want, by adding more or less chilly.
You can serve the beans with polenta, rice, potatoes or piadina and its easily packable to bring it with you to an office or picnic.
This dish is:
- warming and spicy
- full of natural protein source
- great for lunch or dinner
- easy to pack for the office
- 400 g of black beans (soak them overnight or 8 hours, then cook them until soft)
- 1 bell pepper (red or any other color), chopped
- 4 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1 big onion, cleaned and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 2 tsps of origanum majorana
- 0,5 tsp of red chilly powder
- 2 tsp of salt (to be adjusted by your preference)
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over the medium heat. Add the onion and sautè until traslucent and slightly golden color. Keep stirring to avoid buring. Add cumin seeds and garlic, sautè and keep stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add bell pepper and tomatoes, cooked beans, you can pour also some of the water from beans, that all should be covered.
- Add garlic powder, chilly powder, origanum majorana. Stir well to combine spices, bring it to a boil and lower the heat to minimum. Let it simmer for at least 30 minutes. Stir it from time to time. Some water will evaporate and you will see how the sauce starts being created on the bottom of the pan. Stir it from time to time, in order to combine water keeping on top of dish with the sauce at the bottom. Also by stirring you avoid burning beans.
- In the meantime you can prepare rice or polenta, or anything else and serve with some salad as well.