I am a huge fan of Garam Masala dishes. The spice originally comes from India and if you love Asian cuisine, garam masala definitelly should not miss in your kitchen. I tried this combination with chickpeas, eggplant and peppers for the first time, but it was even better than expected. It is gluten-free, vegan and lactose-free. You serve the chickpeas sauce with the rice or/and with naan bread. It is perfect dish to bring for a lunch to the office or to a picnic. Once you try this dish, you will fall in love immediately. I remember when I started cooking these Indian cuisine, it became a must-to-do at least once per week 🙂 So in my kitchen can not miss the coconut milk and all these spices.
Actually the recipe is very simple and it’s cooked in a short time (if you use already cooked chickpeas). For this dish I used 2 cans of chickpeas, 1 can (400g) of coconut milk, 1 onion, 1,5 peppers, 1 medium size eggplant and spices: garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, salt, garam masala, turmeric and 1 chilly. The amount is enough for 3 persons.
*First, cut your eggplant into circles, put a pinch of salt at each circle and leave it rest for a few minutes. You can see some little water that comes out of the eggplant. After that, dry the eggplant with a paper towel and cut the eggplant into small cubes. Cut also the peppers into small pieces.
Heat 2 spoons of coconut oil, chop the onion, and roast it over medium heat until golden color. Add 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds and cook it for 3 minutes over low heat. Add 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh ginger, 2 cans of chickpeas and 1 can of coconut milk. Add the eggplant and peppers (cut in small pieces), 2 teaspoons of garam masala, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 chopped chilly.
Stir all well together and cook it for about 30 minutes covered. Once cooked and switched off, you can add a fresh coriander on top.
Optional: if you wish your sauce to be more dense, you can use 1 teaspoon of corn starch, mixed in very little cold water. Pour it over the sause, keep stirring and cooking it for other 5 minutes.
You can serve your dish with basmati rice (or any other at your preference).
Summary of the recipe:
Ingredients for 3 persons dish:
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of fresh garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala spice
- 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger
- 1 small chilly
- optional: 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, 5 tablespoons of water
- Chop the onion and vegetable: eggplant (according to the instructions above *) and peppers into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a cooking pot over a medium heat, add the onion and cook it until golden color
- Add cumin, coriander and stir it over low heat
- Add chopped garlic, ginger, chickpeas, coconut milk, eggplant and peppers, stir it well all together
- Add turmeric, salt, garam masala, chilly, stir well and cook it over low heat for about 30 minutes
- Optional: to create the chickpeas sause more dense, mix 1 teaspoon of corn starch into a cold water (use about 5-7 tablespoons), mix it well and pour it into the chickpeas. Keep stirring and cook it other 5 minutes
- Serve your chickpeas with basmati rice
Buon appetito! 🙂
If you try to cook it, please remember to tag me with #passioneria :*