They say that breakfast is the most important meal. Your body and brain needs enough energy to start a new day. Have you ever asked how you can treat yourself better? Maybe a better balanced breakfast, better quality food, or waking up earlier and have time to eat all family together?
Are you the one who loves starting a day with sweat pancakes? Well, who doesn’t love them? Have you ever thought about how you can make them more healthier, better and nutrient, naturally rich in protein and minerals, that give you enough energy for all morning and keep you satiated?
This recipe for chickpea pancakes is one of my favourite breakfast recipes I have created. It is vegan, nuts-free, gluten-free, lactose-free and without refined sugar. Naturally sweetened and super-yummy. Being from chickpeas, these pancakes give you the right energy to start a new day. They nutrient you well enough with important protein and minerals.
These pancakes are perfect as a source of energy also before your workout. And if you spread a peanut butter on them, you will get a great rich protein after-workout meal too.
These pancakes are
- Plant based
- Legume based
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- Simple and delicious
- Satisfying and satiating
You can download one-page recipe pdf here, print it and keep it in your cookbook
Recipe for these Vegan & Gluten free Banana Chickpea Pancakes
N. of servings: 2 || Time of preparation and cooking: 10 and 15 minutes approximately || Kitchenware needed: bowl, fork, whisk, frying pan, scoop for soup, thin spatula.
- 1 ripe banana
- ¾ cup of soy milk
- 2 tsp of apple vinegar
- 4 tbsp of agave syrup
- ¾ tsp of baking powder
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil, extravergine
- ¾ cup of chickpea flour
- ¼ cup of buckwheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- Some extra coconut oil to use for cooking
- Peel and using a fork mash the banana in the bowl. Keep mashing until banana has a pudding consistency.
- Add milk, apple vinegar, pinch of salt, agave syrup and coconut oil. Combine all well with a whisk.
- Then, add the chickpea, buckwheat flour and baking powder, and combine it well into the butter. Keep stirring until all is well mixed. The batter should be thick.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add 1 tsp of oil. Let the pan heat well.
- By using a scoop, pour the batter onto the pan, by creating a circle of about 10 cm.
- After about 40 seconds you can notice bubbles appear. If it does so, at the edges and in the middle, you should turn the pancake on the other side and cook it about other 25 seconds.
Some practical tips
- With this recipe you will get about 10-11 pancakes of about 10 cm diameter. This is enough for 2 people. If you need more pancakes, you practically multiply the recipe ingredients.
- To make the pancakes sweet, I used a combination of banana, agave syrup and naturally sweet soy milk. If this is not enough for your taste, you can exchange soy milk for rice milk, I find it sweeter or use additional spoons of agave syrup. Also, for these pancakes I prepared the honey sauce that is practically 1 tbsp of honey mixed and melted in some warm water. You can use this to pour on your pancakes. Delicious and healthier alternative too.
- Tip: please use a non-stick frying pan. Of you do so, you can even use less oil for cooking them, normally I use 1 tsp of oil at the beginning and then I only add a few drops of oil in between the pancakes.
- Keep them small while baking them on a pan, so it will be easier to flip them. I pour about half of a scoop on a frying pan and then I slightly push the batter into a 10 cm circle.
- Avoid to burn them – watch them with attention and as soon as they form first bubbles on the edges and in the middle, they are ready to turn. Keeping the heat to a medium, it takes me about 45 seconds on one side, then 25 second on the second side. The time however depends on how strong heat you use.
- If you see that they are still raw in the middle, but too brown on outside, just lower the heat and cook them a few seconds more.
Do you like the recipe? Are you looking also for some super healthy and energy lunch or dinner ideas? Check my LUNCH & DINNER category recipes.
Did you try this recipe? Tag #healthygoodiesbylucia on instagram and I will be very happy to see and share your photo in my stories!All images & content are copyright. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to re-publish this recipe, please link this post for the recipe. Thank you for your support!