I love soups, they are so easy to prepare and you can cook it so many different ways. All what you need is one pot and a few ingredients. We cook soups so often in Slovakia, it is our main dish I would say.
Today I will show you my very favourite lentil soup. This is what I cook when I have less time or when I come home really hungry and want to eat something as soon as possible. So, for the soup you need lentils, some potatoes, a few carrots, leeks and spices as cumin seeds, red sweet pepper powder and marjoram, some salt and about 3 l of water. I always keep red mini lentils in the kitchen because don’t need to soak them before cooking and they are cooked in 15 or 20 minutes. Soo practical!
This soup is:
- rich of plant protein
- very easy to do
I always sauté veggies before adding water, it gives the soup a better taste. Longer you sauté, better is. So, clean and cut leeks and carrots, heat 2 tablespoons of extravergine olive oil over medium heat. Add the veggies and sauté it for 5 minutes, keep stirring. After, add cumin seeds, sweet pepper powder, keep stirring and sauté for other 2 minutes. Add water, potatoes, salt and lentils. Stir to combine all ingredients. Bring it to a boil and lower the heat to minimum. Let it simmer until all is cooked. Taste the soup and eventually balance it with spices.
Summary of the recipe for 3-4 servings:
- 1 cup of mini lentils
- 2 big potatoes, peeled and cut
- 3 big carrots, peeled and cut
- 2 small leeks, cleaned and cut
- 1 tbsp of salt (adjust as you prefer)
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of red sweet pepper powder
- 2 tsp of marjoram
- 2 tbsp of extravergine olive oil
- 3 l of water
- Heat the oil over medium heat, add carrots and leeks, sautè for 5 minutes, keep stirring
- Add cumin, sweet pepper powder, keep stirring and sautè for other 2 minutes
- Add water, potatoes, salt and lentils and marjoram. Stir to combine all ingredients.
Bring it to a boil and lower the heat to minimum. Let it simmer until all is cooked.
- Taste the soup and eventually balance it with spices according to your preferences (sweet pepper/cumin/marjoram/salt)